Visitors to the Wilhelmgalerie come together in a large, glass-covered piazza. The floor design uses various types of natural stone, symbolizing the universe with stars and spiral nebula. Mankind – man and women – circle the universe in the atrium of the passage, as symbols of life. The metamorphosis of this site, which is situated in the historical area of Baroque expansion in Potsdam, took into account the predecessor building destroyed in the Second World War. The design employs the dimensions and façade division of the representative frontage of the block facing onto Wilhelmsplatz build by Carl von Gontard in 1767. Both Andrea Palladio’s market hall in Vicenza with his idea of a covered city square and the façade division of Potsdam’s representative town mansions are cited, but employing contemporary, modern development perspective for Potsdam’s historic inner city.

© KSV | Karsten Pagel
© KSV | Karsten Pagel
© KSV | Karsten Pagel
© KSV | Karsten Pagel
© KSV | Karsten Pagel
© KSV | Karsten Pagel
Project:
Client:
Services:
Prize:
Gross floor area:
© KSV | Karsten Pagel