Classical Modernism was established by elegant buildings employing a reduction of colours and materials; well-composed like Bauhaus and the Masters’ Houses in Dessau by Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. Combining architecture and design with the possibilities of industrial production was a key theme of teaching at Bauhaus after 1925.
The apartment houses built in Berlin-Hellersdorf using industrially prefabricated panel construction methods from 1975–1985 also followed this aim, but without being able to live up to the urban-developmental and architectonic qualities of the originals due to restrictive economic conditions. Increasingly, the formal poverty of the architecture, the lack of quality in materials and detail, and the non-differentiated open spaces came to be seen as defects.
The sheltered accommodation building links two apartment blocks. A meticulously detailed brick facade gives new identity to the surroundings; the colour and texture of the brick adding energy to the environment. The slightly exposed, rounded corners and the extension’s vertical division into base, main floor and attic floor expand the orthogonal repertoire of the existing buildings.

Project:
Client:
Services:
Appartments:
Beds: